FLEET CHURCH – CURRENT
Moved: June 1972
From the Fleet Methodist Website:
“The present Fleet Methodist Church was opened and dedicated on Saturday 22nd July 1972, marking the culmination of seven years of prayerful planning and fundraising by the congregations of the Reading Road and Fleet Road churches to create a United Methodist Society in Fleet.
The Methodist movement has had a presence in Fleet since 1883, when the first Methodist Chapel was built on Reading Road. The second Wesleyan Church was built several years later on Fleet Road, which was demolished in 1967.
In early 1967, the Reading Road Chapel was extensively renovated and redecorated, being rededicated by Revd. Cyril Wainwright in May 1967.
Meanwhile, sufficient land had been acquired next to the Chapel, including the old Post Office, to draw up plans for a new church, halls and meeting rooms, that would be large enough to meet the needs of a rapidly growing congregation (of over 150 members) and Sunday school. Architects were appointed in 1968 and work began in June 1971.
The new church building was officially opened and dedicated on 22nd July 1972 at a service attended by over 500 people, where the opportunities for effective Christian witness in this new ‘Power House for God’ were focussed on. The Service was followed by a 24 hour prayer vigil. Having cost £50,000 to build, the church had been able to open free of any debt.
Since then, the church has sought to serve the rapidly growing population of Fleet and Church Crookham, maintaining a lively Christian witness with the other churches in town as part of the ‘Churches Together’ movement.”
They currently occupy the address below:
They used to occupy the address below:
We know that 1883, a Methodist chapel was built on the address that later became known at 74 Reading Road South, it is possible that an even earlier church existed before this but there are no known records of this. In 1972 this was demolished and the Methodist Church that we know today was built next door to it as a bigger replacement.
A new build was later put on 74 Reading Road South.
“A New Primitive Methodist Chapel” 1883
This poster gives an invitation to the foundation stone laying ceremony and tea, followed by an address in the Baptist chapel in the evening. A local publication dated 1974 mentions a Primitive Methodist Church which had been built for £100 but nobody has seen another mention of this church or where it was built. This notice is for a “new” church, perhaps more evidence that an old one existed. – Percy Vickery.
Primitive Methodist Church 1901
As a result of the fund raising events, the church was consecrated in 1884 on the site of the post office (now Dadds ‘n Lads) opposite Heatherside School. A Sunday school room was added in 1898 and the vestry in 1916. When the primitive and Wesleyan wings of Methodism united, the church in Fleet Road was sold and it was decided to build a modern church by the side of the earlier Primitive church/chapel, this was opened in 1972. The new post office was then built where the old church had stood. – Percy Vickery.
All information and articles on our website which feature this business are listed below:
An album of all/any images associated with this church that appears on our website.
To see more images and other occupants of this location, please click the address link(s) above.
Photo credits are listed on the individual images.
(Click on photo to enlarge and scroll through selection)
CAN YOU HELP?
SHARE AND COMMENT
Do you have thoughts, comments or memories to share? We’d love to hear from you…so please leave a comment!